Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tuesday Art Play

A few weeks ago I got this book and though I have looked through it many times, I haven't tried anything from it... until today! My kids had a pupil free day from school, so I thought I would make the most of the day at home and have some art play!

I started by trying some of the step-by-step techniques from the book. This looks pretty yuck with the brown, but I had a colour scheme in mind, so I stuck with it. It was only experimenting anyway, so it didn't really matter if the colours were wrong.
I then added a coat of medium magenta, hmm... still not sure about the colours?
With a few white paint spatters...
Then a few orange spatters (cause I reached for the wrong paint! Should have been brown). It's grown on me since I made it and I am quite happy with it. It has a time worn look.

The next technique was layering papers....
Then painting over the top. Was happy with the colours in this one.
The last technique I tried was using modern photography. I decided to use an image from a magazine...
Painted over the collaged papers, using titan buff, a little burnt umber and a wash of titanium white.
This is the finished piece. I have added some more paint (jenkins green mixed with white) and a few extra elements and a charcoal outline. Quite happy with this one too. It was good just to try the techniques without worrying about the finished piece too much. Now I am feeling happier to try out a journal!
Thats all for now, time to start cooking dinner.
Hope you had a great day everyone and also a wonderful Easter! (Sorry, forgot to mention that before!)

3 comments:

Ro Bruhn said...

Wow Jo, these could be the start of your journal, I add all sorts of things to mine regardless of the thickness. This way you get to look at them on a regular basis, they're fabulous.
I adore that little window in your previous post as well as all the creative goodies.
Ro
xo

Sam Marshall said...

Hi Jo,
How wonderful! Your experiments are gorgeous.

Guhn said...

SECURITY CENTER: See Please Here