Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Post #96 - Jen Worden Weekly Challenge

Getting closer and closer to post 100! Don't forget to leave a comment to go in to the draw for a great prize!

Well, I am all in the mood for challenges at the moment, so thought I would give Jen Wordens Weekly Challenge a go. Click on Jens name to visit her blog. Jen has amazing work and details all her techniques.
This weeks was creating monoprints, using a sheet of glass as a printing plate.

This is my first attempt, I decided to make a circle template, that you can see in the 2nd photo. I had thought that by adding a base of gesso to my glass and then the colours on top I would get a more muted shade of colours. Not so!! The gesso had very little effect at all! The colous I used were all Golden, Quin NA Gold, NA Yellow, Quin Crimson and Paynes Gray.



This is the stencil and another sheet that I used with Titanium White as a base. Has toned the colours down slightly. I only used the Quin NA Gold and NA Yellow on this one. I am actually really happy with the effect on the stencil.

This is 3 sheets I Created from one plate, just adding a bit more paint to each one to slightly change the effect.


This is the first plate using Ultramarine Violet and Irrid. Silver. I stamped in to the wet paint using a Fleur De Lis stamp.


To this one I added a bit of Micaceous Iron Oxide and blended it with my fingers. I then drizzled a little Irrid. Silver before laying my paper on to the plate.

This is the final one from the plate. I added a few drops of Paynes Gray to one side and then dragged it through the rest of the paint with my painters comb. I think this one is my favourite, even though it stuck to the plate a bit when I lifted it off. I think I will use these as background in my Gothic Arch Challenge, kill two birds with one stone, so to speak!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi jo,
love the second one the yellows and gold are my colours..i did monoprint at school - had so much fun!!!

Anonymous said...

I really like the one with the stamped iris - subtle but glorious colours. And using them as backgrounds? Pure genius!

Thanks for taking the challenge Jo!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had lots of messy fun with this, Jo. Until recently I had forgotten how much I love getting paint on my hands.

Susan said...

What a great variety of looks you got from this. Isn't it fun to just play!
Susan T